If your board is not yet using the Policy Governance(R) system, January is a great time of year to consider whether or not you’re ready to take your governance capacity to the next level. While there are myriad benefits to using Policy Governance (short video here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-oZiybuIh4), to truly know whether or not your board is ready to invest in training on what the principles are and how they work, check the extent to which board members agree with these five statements:
- It seems logical that the board should use a set of clear principles, or a system, to do its job most effectively.
- We need to make a difference on behalf of our legal or moral owners. Progress has been made and we have good board members and staff, but it feels like it is time to take things to the next level. Life is short!
- The board values continual learning — not just for staff, but also for itself.
- We don’t just want to go through the motions of appearing accountable. We should embrace it, and be a model for others to follow.
- We value people, and we want more for our board members, staff, and the lives we touch.